Sunday 19 April 2009

Infertility

Now there's a topic worth discussing on Momversation!

I just can't get over how much infertility, potential or otherwise, is around me. It is very disconcerting. It makes me feel so very fortunate to have my two boys, and makes me want to have a 3rd, just for good measure. But at the same time, it is so very scary. I just can't imagine the pain of not being able to have kids! I think it would be one of life's worst hands you could get (of course, be born into war, abuse, famine is probably worse, but you catch my drift, right?).

It is also scary because its widespread grip can only mean something's gone bad in the West, in my generation of women, and it feels kind of sinister. Why do women from poor countries multiply like rabbits? Why can't we? Is it the food we eat (pesticides/hormones/antibiotics/meat-intensive)? Is it lifestyle, i.e., stress? Or is it the widespread, long-term use of the Pill? Whatever it is, if it is making our women infertile...

No comments:

Post a Comment