Saturday 5 November 2011

excuse me, little brats, but who let you in the house?

...was what I was thinking this morning, and yesterday, and few other times this week. WTF? Is this a phase, or have I gotten child-rearing all wrong? I certainly hope this is a phase, because I really don't know what to do to get Sebastian to behave like a sweet, normal 5-yr-old human being and not a mean, selfish, spoiled brat who throws things around when he doesn't get what he wants.

Holy wowza.

I get all confused with what is personality, what is developmental, what is a bad day, and what is behaviour that is a symptom of something bigger, something other that MUST be corrected. It's in moments like these that I lament the demise of the family and society. Once upon a time, in a healthier world, grandparents, the community, the elders would help guide parents in precisely these topics.

My mother often has good advice, but she made more mistakes than successes as a mother, so I have to be wary: her advice is either based on her own outdated ideas, or is overcompensation for what she couldn't do for me. Also, it is often accompanied by a frenzied almost fatalistic anxiety about the smallest of things. Mountains out of molehills, while what I need to make molehills out of my mountains.

I really, really, really, really hope this is a phase, and that I am doing things mostly right... Only time will tell... Right?

Nothing like parenting to make you humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment