Friday 1 October 2010

my baby is growing up

Yes, I felt the cliche emotions of every mother from the beginning of time, well, of the establishment of pre-school: my little boy is growing up, separate from me, and needs me less. He is his own little person, and has relationships (friends and teachers) that I know nothing about.

When I dropped him off at pre-school the other day, I cried. (No, not in front of him, of course!) I cried when I saw him sitting at the window waving to me. I cried when I saw him take off his shoes by himself and go play in the blow-up jungle gym. I cried yesterday when I saw him climb up onto the school bus.

As I write these words, I am so aware of their obvious resonance. Who knows? Maybe I am even plagiarizing, so widespread is this feeling among young mothers. Yet, I must express them because they are so intense.

How many rich emotions I've felt over the past few years? Emotions I would not have experienced if I had not become a mother. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment