Saturday 26 December 2009

First real Christmas

...in Italy that is. Last year, I was forced to spend Christmas at a restaurant. There is really nothing more depressing. So in exchange for baptizing my children, Tiziano's family agreed to spend Christmas at my place. I made a turkey dinner, stuffed stockings, decorated a real tree, and the house, and invited the fam over for an abundant meal.

It was still a little anti-climactic, I have to say. His family just doesn't get into it the way my family usually does. I think it is mainly because they don't drink, and no one has any hobbies or personal pursuits. Also, no one really listens, or engages in interesting conversation. And the young'uns (Tiziano's 24 and 25-yr-old nepphew and niece) aren't allowed to exist. I was pouring wine for Veronica, and as she was about to say stop, her mother was stopping me for her. I mean, she's 24 yrs old! And her brother didn't come, because of some other responsibility, which no one will really say, probably because it isn't a responsibility, and everyone is afraid I would be offended.

Thankfully, I bought Taboo, and they kind of got into if, for about an hour. And the kids provided some entertainment. Also, thank goodness that Karine is here too. But I really saw how they all perceive Christmas: lots of work, for no particular reason.

I think I am just going to have to resign myself to going home to Montreal for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment